Dalit and Oppressed Self-respect Movement Committee
Friends and Well-wishers,
Dalit and progressive organisations held a meeting in Freedom Park on 26th August to lay the foundation for a social movement in the wake of rising assaults on dalits, minorities, women and the oppressed. The participants, nearly 250 of them, had elaborate discussions and decided on the following:
1. The movement’s aims and objectives: Protest against cultural politics of using the ‘sacred cow’. Prevent atrocities on dalits, minorities, adivasi, women and the oppressed. Pressurise the govt to take action and protect fundamental rights.
2. To form a decisive movement to prevent repeated atrocities on dalits and untouchability in rural and modern life including education, housing, media, Government and the private sector.
3. To protect the rights of dalits, minorities and backward communities to eat food of their choice including beef.
4. To demand a minimum of 5 acres of land for all dalit families.
5. To defeat the right wing and brahminical politics. To prevent young men from the backward communities being used by the Sangh Parivaar. Educate to change the minds of dalits and the oppressed who have already become slaves of brahminical organisations.
In order to attain an equal society and to achieve the above mentioned aims and objectives the following three stage protest has been planned.
First Stage: A Jaatha from Bangalore to Udupi and a convention at Udupi, the place where Praveen Poojari was killed for transporting cows.
The Jatha will begin on the 4th October at Freedom Park in Bangalore and proceed to Nelamangala, Kunigal, Channarayapatna, Hole Narasipura, Hassan, Beluru, Chickmagalore and reach Koppa on 8th October for a convention.
Further it will culminate in Udupi on the 9th October with a massive rally.
Public meetings will be held all along the route of the Jatha, with main focus on college students.
Second Stage: District level meetings and conventions will be organised in all the 30 districts over the next few months. This will aim at educating on the cultural politics, building confidence among the oppressed and preparing for the great struggle in the coming months.
Third Stage: To organise a massive rally of nearly two lakh people in Bangalore to demonstrate the strength of unity and place the demands.
With this background an all-inclusive committee is being formed
You are requested to give your opinion, suggest improvement of these activities to make it successful. Please indicate how each one of you can contribute to this struggle to uphold the aspirations of the Constitution. It is a collective struggle and so is the responsibility of all of us.
Chalo Udupi: A Pride March
4 October 2016:
11 AM: Inauguration of Jatha at Freedom Park, Bangalore.
5 PM: Theatre presentation and Public meeting at Nelamangala.
Night Halt at Nelamangala
5 October 2016:
10 AM: Public Meeting and Jatha Performance at Kunigal
4 PM: Public Meeting and Theatre Performance at Channarayapatna
Proceed and halt at Holenarasipura
6 October 2016:
10 AM: Public Meeting and Theatre performance at Holenarasipura
4 PM: Public meeting and Theatre performance at Hassan
Halt at Beluru
7 October 2016:
11 AM: Public Meeting and Theatre Performance at Beluru
4 PM: Public Meeting and Theatre Performance at Chickmagalur
Proceed to and halt at Koppa
8 October 2016:
Public Rally and convention at Koppa
Proceed to halt at Udupi.
9th October 2016:
The final leg of the Jatha: Public rally and Conclusion of Jatha.
Jai Bhim and thanks on behalf of:
Dalit and oppressed self respect movement committee
(L to R: Bhaskar Prasad, Vikas R Mourya, Devanuru Mahadeva, Hulikunte Murthy, Harsha Kugwe, SR Hiremath and Satya S)